Ecological home construction
Participants will leave with an understanding of the concepts of green home construction, and the knowledge to undertake projects themselves. Green homes don't have to cost more to build, but they are always healthier for occupants and cheaper to operate
Installing siding on a passive solar home. © Mike Reynolds
514.985.0004 ext. 609
$149 + tax
Purpose of this course
To help participants understand the concepts and techniques for building efficient and healthy homes. Green homes don’t have to cost more, but will definitely save you money and reduce your carbon output. Whether you are building a home yourself or hiring a contractor, this course will help you understand the fundamentals of green home construction.
Owner-builders, designers, contractors, or the endlessly curious. No building experience is necessary, just a desire to learn the concepts of green building.
- The principles of sustainable building: energy, resources and health
- How to finance a building project
- Design ideas: comfortable, sustainable and affordable
- Re-using materials
- Choosing a site
- The concepts of passive solar – free heating
- Windows and doors
- Foundation choices
- Different wall systems
- Proper roof ventilation and insulation
- Heating: radiant floors, masonry heaters, solar
- Mechanical: water, electricity, ventilation etc.
- Typical home energy consumption
- Thermal mass
- Rainwater harvesting
- Eliminating radon gas